This page contains summary information about a conference happening over the weekend of 22-23 March 2014, with the theme “Anticipating 2025”:
- Paths to 2025: visions, nightmares, roadblocks, and plans
- Transformations in thinking and lifestyle:
health, spirituality, organisations, politics, transhumanism, and transcendence.
For the latest public information, see the dedicated site http://anticipating2025.com/.
Subject to ticket availability, people can choose to attend either, or both, of these two days.
Each day will be structured as follows:
- 09.15: Registration, refreshments, and networking
- 09.40: Chair’s introductory remarks
- 09.45: Three opening talks
- 11.15: Break for networking and refreshments
- 11.45 Two further talks
- 12.45: Lunch break
- 14.15: Two further talks
- 15.15: Break for networking and refreshments
- 15.45: Final session (two more talks and extended panel discussion)
- 17.30: End of day.
This envisages up to nine speakers per day, with each speaker having around 18 minutes to make their key points (the same length as a TED talk), followed by 10-12 minutes of audience interaction.
The choice of focusing on the year 2025 is to address an area where most other conferences are weak. Many so-called “technology forecasting” events seem pre-occupied by possibilities for the next 2-3 years, whereas other events (e.g. Singularity Summits) look forward to a period such as 2045 when it is conceivable that a technology singularity may have taken place.
The conference will be co-branded “London Futurists” and “Humanity+”.
Important side-goals of the conference will be to record all talks, and to broadcast them live online.
The conference will be designed to break even financially:
- The main costs will be room hire
- Subsidiary costs will include some refreshments (teas, coffees, biscuits) and perhaps some audiovisual processing costs.
The events won’t provide lunch or dinner, but the venue will be chosen so that there are plenty of places nearby where people can get some lunch cheaply and reasonably quickly.
A mailing group has been set up, to allow people to become involved (in greater or smaller ways) with the design, planning, and organisation of these events. To apply to join this mailing group (without necessarily making any commitment, at this stage, for actual involvement), please visit https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/anticipating-2025.
Note: For a preview of some topics that could feature in the Anticipating 2025 conference, see the London Futurist Hangout On Air Which technologies will have the biggest impact by 2025?
Feedback after the conference
You can leave comments below if you have specific feedback or suggestions relevant to future London Futurists conferences. For example:
- Which aspects of Anticipating 2025 did you value the most? And which the least?
- If you did not attend, what changes would have made you more likely to attend?
- What changes would you like to see in follow-up events? (And let us know if you are willing to join the volunteer organisation team to help put these changes in place.)
- What theme would you like to see addressed in a future event? (Probably not “Anticipating 2026″…)